One of a series of campaigns in the Sikhs'
agitation in the 1920's for the reformation of their holy places.
Gurdwara Sangat Sahib, located in Mien ke Maur in Lahore district,
about 15 km from Chhanga Manga railway station, dedicated to the memory
of Bhai Pheru (1640-1706), a masand or parish leader in the time of
Guru Har Rai who was honoured for his devotion by Guru Gobind Singh
with the titles of Sachchi Dahri (True Bearded) and Sangat Sahib,
was an important shrine, with 2,750 acres of land attached to it,
and was being managed by Mahant Kishan Das.
After the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee,
a representative society of the Sikhs, had taken over management
of some of the major shrines and mahants or priests had started
voluntarily handing over gurdwaras, under their control, Mahant
Kishan,Das, on 28 December 1922, transferred Gurdwara Bhai Pheru
to the Committee. He later went back on the agreement he had signed
and petitioned the government to have the shrine and the lands restored
On 7 December 1923 the police arrested the manager,
Jagat Singh, and eleven other representatives of the Shiromani Gurdwara
Parbandhak Committee. The possession of the shrine and the estate
was restored to the Mahant and his tenants. However, the decision
of the deputy commissioner of Lahore on the Gurdwara lands went
in favour of the Shiromani Committee and, as its representatives
arrived to take charge of these, Mahant Kishan Das and his tenant
Pala Ram, brother of Mahant Narain Das, of Sri Nankana Sahib, lodged
a complaint with police that the Akalis were forcibly taking possession
of his property.
Police arrested 34 Akalis on 2 January 1924.
The government revised its earlier decision given in favour of the
Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee and passed fresh orders
declaring Pala Ram to be temporarily in possession of the land.
Akalis launched a morcha in. protest even as the morcha at Jaito
was still continuing. Jathas or batches of Akali volunteers started
marching to Bhai Pheru from different parts of the district.
On 5 January 1924, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak
Committee took the campaign into its own hands. By 10 September
1925, the number of arrests had reached 6,372. An unsavoury incident,
however, led the local organizer, Arjan Singh, to suspend the morcha
on 20 September 1925. The Gurdwara and the lands attached to it
came under the Committee's control after the Sikh Gurdwaras Act
of 1925 was passed by the Punjab Legislative Council, and the court
case too was decided in the Committee's favour in June 1931.